By Eric Gray, (LBLN Contributor)
Long Beach, California
Long Beach is a big city with a small town feel. An active city with multiple events, farmers markets, a growing artistic and musical scene, a localized culture, and many new restaurants popping up all over town. Here are some fast facts about our fair city by the coast:
- According to the 2010 Census, the total population of Long Beach was 462,257 with an estimated 2015 population of 474,140 people, making Long Beach the 36th largest city in the United States.
- Long Beach has an average annual precipitation rate of 12.25 inches per year, far below the national average.
- An approximate six million visitors travel to Long Beach each year.
- Cal State Long Beach has 35,000 undergraduate and 6,000 graduate students enrolled with students from 44 states and 90 countries.
- Famous individuals who come from Long Beach include Nicholas Cage, Cameron Diaz, Billy Jean King, Snoop Dogg, and Tiffani-Amber Thiessen.
- Long Beach received 100% on the 2016 Human Rights Campaign Municipal Equality Index Scorecard.
- Although Long Beach is neighbors with Orange County, it resides in Los Angeles County.
- El Dorado Park in East Long Beach is made up of 105 acres, two lakes, a stream, a small gift shop, archery, bike rentals, and a nature trail.
- In 2016, Long Beach ranked in 10th & 28th place respectively by Zillow and Bicycling.com as the most bike friendly city in the country.
- According to WalletHub, of the 230 most populated cities in the United States, Long Beach is the second most diverse in the country.
- Long Beach has seventeen historical districts.
- There are over 50 Olympic Athletes who were born in Long Beach, CA.
These are a few overall facts about Long Beach, CA but the city and its people are far more complex. We hope you tune into Long Beach Local News as your source to keep updated on our city that almost half a million people call home.