Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was an awe inspiring figure in US history. His words built a movement, and his movement helped build a generation of new thinkers. Here are a few of his awe inspiring quotes to motivate you throughout the year:
1. I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
2. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
3. In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
4. Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
5. I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
6. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
7. Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.
8. Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?
9. Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
10. The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice.
The first observance of Martin Luther King day came in 1986 after then US President Ronald Reagan, made it official on Nov. 2, 1983.